In dieser Lage findet man eine Abfolge von Silten und Sanden, teilweise mergelig ausgebildet, wobei im Westen, im oberen Hangbereich Kiese eingeschaltet sind. Die Sedimente sind arm an Glimmer was auf einen tuffitischen Einfluss hindeuten könnte, das bedeutet, Sedimente aus dem Tertiär verzahnen sich mit Aschen aus dem Vulkanismus.
Der von lehmigen Sand abfallende Hügel ist geprägt von lehmigen Sand und verfügt über ein ausgeprägtes Bodenskelett bestehend aus Schotter. Bodenart: lehmiger Sand Bodentyp: kalkfreier Kulturrohboden, Lockersediment-Braunerde Die Ausrichtung der ca. 3 ha große Lage Liedlberg bewegt sich von West bis Süd. Die Seehöhe bewegt sich zwischen 280m und 320m.
In and around Kapfenstein and Klöch, you find many different vineyards which are cultivated by us. Rosenleiten and Schlosskogel are classified as “Erste STK Lage” and Kirchleiten as “Grosse STK Lage”. Together with our other vineyards, the total area is ca. 40 ha. ‘Lagenwein’ wines with the STK seal of quality are subject to the following rules, which are defined in detail for Erste STK and Grosse STK vineyards: Erste STK Lage
- The grapes for these wines come from high hillside vineyards with a very favourable microclimate which, in autumn, guarantees earlier passerillage and optimal ripeness of the grape. These vineyards are oriented to the south-east and south-west.
- These vineyards are located in specific areas or parts of the community which, based on many years of experience and taking into consideration domestic and international tasting results, have been up-classified as STK Lagen. Wines from these vineyards have a distinctive flavour typical of the region.
- The average age of the vines is at least 12 years.
- The vineyards are husbanded in ways that are natural and sustainable.
- The wines are made from Sauvignon Blanc, Morillon, Weissburgunder, Grauburgunder, Gelber Muskateller or Traminer grapes.
- The wines are vinified dry to become a ‘Qualitätswein’, whose natural ripeness is at least 12.5%Vol. alcohol. ‘Prädikatswein’ & Traminer wines are, by their nature, exceptions to dry vinification.
- The grapes are selectively hand-harvested in several stages and, in order to assure a high degree of physiological maturity, as late as possible.
- Only healthy (Botrytis-free) grapes are used.
- Wine harvest is limited to a maximum of 4,500 l /ha.
- The cellaring potential of the wines should be at least 5 years, verifiable by means of 3 verticals from the last five vintages or, for more mature wines, through STK-conducted ‘Lagenwein’ tastings.
- Erste STK Lage wines have at least five years’ market presence and, even in smaller vintages, demonstrate distinctiveness and ‘Lagenwein’ character.
- Erste STK Lage wines may not be sold until May 1st at the earliest after having matured for 6 months. The official presentation date is the annual Spring Tasting conducted by STK vineyards at the beginning of May.
- Erste STK Lage wines labelled ‘Reserve’, ‘Privat’, ‘Fassreserve’, ‘Vinotheksfüllung’ etc., or Erste STK Lage wines that have matured in small, mainly new wooden barrels may only be brought to market after 18 months of cellaring on or after May 1st.
Erste STK Lage wines are recognizable by the golden STK band or a golden STK imprint on the capsule.
Grosse STK Lage
These wines are subject to the guidelines for Erste STK Lage wines. In addition:
- The grapes for Grosse STK Lage wines ripen in vineyards with an outstanding terroir, allowing for production of wines with an especially distinctive character and cellaring potential.
- The grapes come from vineyards whose soil is favourable for the development of great minerality in the wine, such as soils with high levels of shell limestone, marl, volcanic rock, sand, gravel and slate as well as combinations thereof.
- The average age of the vines must be at least 15 years.
- Wine harvest is limited to a maximum of 3,500 l /ha.
- The cellaring potential of the wines should be at least 10 years, verifiable by means of 5 verticals from the last ten vintages or, for more mature wines, through STK-conducted ‘Lagenwein’ tastings.
- Grosse STK Lage wines have at least ten years’ market presence and, even in smaller vintages, demonstrate distinctiveness and ‘Lagenwein’ character.
- Grosse STK Lage wines may only be sold after May 1st subsequent to having matured for 18 months. The official presentation date is the annual Spring Tasting conducted by STK vineyards at the beginning of May.
- Grosse STK Lage wines labelled ‘Reserve’, ‘Privat’, ‘Fassreserve’, ‘Vinotheksfüllung’ etc., may only be brought to market after 30 months of cellaring on or after May 1st.
Grosse STK Lage wines are recognizable by the golden STK band or a golden STK imprint on the capsule.www.stk-wein.at